Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Into the Awkward

I have crossed over.  I am no longer a 'new' mom but am becoming a 'seasoned mom.'  I am not quite at pro status but I have adapted enough that I am becoming that awkard mom.  I used to be a prude.  I used to think certain things were inappropriate, rude, or just downright awkard.  

Now I catch myself doing these things out of convenience, necessity, resourcefulness and in sheer desperation. 

Take the following for example:
1. I hardly use a nursing cover.  I used to be so concerned, made sure to have a nursing bra, shirt and cover and hide away.  Now?  Forget it.  Wrestling a 6 month older under a cover is the least of my concerns.  Hiding my woohoos from view?  Sorry.  I just don't have the energy.
2. I have used my shirt sleeve to wipe my kids' nose.  Gross.  But whatever.
3. I forget to shut the bathroom door.  I mean, usually I remember.  But during the day it's wide open to keep my eye on an ever mischievous child so if I remember while I have company, you should feel special!
4. Any surface is fair game for changing a diaper.  I remember cringing when a mom changed her child's diaper on my coffee table.  Ha!  I don't even use a change pad anymore!  (I'm just that quick, like a ninja... or maybe lazy).
5. I no longer hold in my farts while running, when there's people around.  We all do it people!  I've been desensitized by a farting, belching, "I pooooooped!" shouting 2 year old.
6. I've walked around whole days without half of my nursing bra snapped into place.  Oops. Lopsided.  Used to be awkward. 
7.  Close all the blinds in order to nurse Toby?  Nope. I figure if you're peeping through my windows you deserve to get a shocker.
8.  I've walked around with tags on my new shirt without noticing- you know the sticky kind along the front of your shirt/pants which says the size?  Why don't they make them more noticeable anyways?  I figure, why wash something that's new?  That's just more laundry...
9.  I didn't have socks to wear at a kids play place.  So?  I crammed my 2 year olds' socks onto my feet.  They fit somehow! 
10. Nursing pads?  They work as bum wipes, nose wipes, and if you use two together: pads.  I'm not gonna lie.
11. Bathroom talk.  I have a double dose of awkward: I'm a nurse and a mother of a potty-training toddler.  I no longer realize I'm talking about poop or pee mid conversation.  It's always relevant.  Always.
12. I try on clothes overtop of my clothes at stores.  I remember thinking that was so awkward and weird.  Now?  Soooo convenient.
13. I still use a half-eaten chapstick.  Who has time to buy more?
14. I eat slobbered on, half eaten, mushed and mashed leftover food bits from Silas.  Even off the floor.  Or the ground.  Or (gasp) even out of a car seat.  I'm not gonna lie.  It's been done.  When else do I get a chance to eat these days?
15.  And the piece de resistance: I don't care if I change in the public section of the change room at the gym or pool.  It's a body.  It's naked.  Whatever.  I used to FREAK about this: "That's so awkward!  How do moms let everything just hang there for everyone to see their lumps and bumps?  Gross!"  Now?  I can't be bothered to hide away. 

The Shannon of 10 years ago would have been grossed out about the Shannon now.  Motherhood in all its awkward glory. What are some of your awkard habits?



4 comments:

  1. Great post! Your list is fantastic, gross, and a "normal" for so many moms!
    Thanks for your honesty! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you, shannon, are awesomely awkward! =D
    i have yet to reach your stage of motherhood. clearly. but i wouldn't be surprised if i do one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha.. oh Shannon,I wonder if I ever become a mom whether I will feel free with farting and feeding as you do. Umm..yeah.. haha...

    Anyways, I just want to let you know that I enjoy reading your blogs from time to time because I learn so much about what it might be like to be a mother- ie: the good, the bad and the graphic. Thanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Shannon! I do a lot of these, too, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm a mom or a missionary. I was thinking I should do a parallel post about Missionary Awkwardness. I caught myself describing a type of poop (the classic "giardia poo") the other day... at the dinner table... and I nearly had to scoop up our guest helper's jaw from the table! She's from the US and needs some toughening up, but still. :) I love that I can always talk about gross things with you and you don't look at me like I'm an alien! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...